Let's Brainstorm ideas...
- maybe do it over the summer while kids are out of school rather then Dec which is so buzy for everyone.
A weblog for David & Millie Christman's Six Daughters and Grandchildren...our thoughts, pictures, updates on each of our lives and families.
41 comments:
Okay, I talked to Daddy and Mom separately last night before we left.
Here is what Daddy said...
He thinks we need to do it somewhere close for everyone to get to, so that no one has any problems getting there. He suggested our house so it would be more central, and we have room for lots of people to sleep and there are historical places to visit too.
Here is what Mom suggested...
Mackinaw Island.
I asked what they thought about doing it over the summer rather then Dec while all the kids are out of school, they both thought that was good, they wanted to make it easy for everyone so no one has problems coming.
So lets talk about what you all think about those ideas.
I think we should have it at Mom and Daddy's house. One: it's their anniv. and it's their home. Two: We could invite friends of theirs and family. I don't think any of this sisters would come down to Virginia. Brock and Amy could help us with names and address of everyone to invite. I think it would be really nice to have a surprise party, but that would be impossible. I think it should be later in the summer..August. I love the Mackinaw Island but cost could be a factor for some of us.
Do you remember Gma & Gpa Christman's 50th? Or was it 75th? They had a big party at their church in Kutztown and friends and family were invited. I definitely think we should have a party - maybe at the grange or somewhere. Then maybe just the immediate family and grandkids could take a field trip - maybe rent a vehicle big enough for everyone - and go to Valley Forge or Gettysburg for the day.
Maybe the field trip could be the surprise and they will know about the party. Or vice versa.
Maybe the field trip could be in the summer and then the party could be in December close to their anniversary.
I would love Mackinac (my spelling is correct!) Island but I think it would be too difficult to plan and get everyone there at the same time and able to afford it.
My two cents!
In lieu of gifts perhaps we could get people to give a monetary gift that would go towards a trip to Germany when David is there on his mission?
Or maybe a theme for gifts? Patriotic things?
They could defitinetly use a new couch or two!
Great ideas. I was a photo of G'ma & G'pa and one of the their whole family at that 50th Anniversary Party. I think the party is a great idea. I think it would be simplier NOT a surprise party. Mom could give us ideas of a location. I don't think it should at the house. But the grange or fire company or something like that is a great idea. That way we could decorate it real nice and have better food.
I think a surprise field trip would be fun. Has Mom and Dad ever been to Ellis Island? That is incredible.
I like the gift idea for the trip to Germany. I know of a couple who just did that for a honeymoon. And rather than just pick a $ amount to give, they had it broken down to like one day at the hotel, two days at the hotel, one massage, dinner for two, evening of drinks, stuff like that had a price attached that way.
I prefer sometime when mine and Sharon's kids are out of school rather than Dec 6th, summer or maybe Thanksgiving Break which would just be one week before the actual date might be good.
We just received a "Hold this Date" Note about a 20th Anniversary party in June 2008, with no exact details but so people could arrange hotel and travel stuff. That's an idea that we could send out postcards soon with just a date and no exact details.
Great ideas. Mine would be yes, at their home.
I like the surpise field trip idea; we could spend part of a day touring where they met and also all the homes they've lived in since they were married. They could tell us what house they were living in when each of us were born. We could visit them in order and have them serve as the tour guides!!
I'm more in favor of having a just "us" party but we could certainly do a big party and invite everyone.
I like Jackie's idea about Mom and Daddy being the "tour guides" I think it would real be nice to have them "show" us and tell us about the dating years and "the beginning" and how and where they moved.
I would much rather have a "party" at their house. We could decorate it and have "better food". I think they would like it much better if we have it at there place. Especially for Daddy, that is were he is most comfortable, and Mom like to "entertain" in her home. I think you take away the "family" part of 50 years of marriage by not having it where their hearts are.
My thoughts.
Daddy just has to get over it! :-) It's a special occasion and I think there will be too many people for the house. I don't think it matters where it as as long as we are all there. Home is where the heart is!
We did the tour of all the places they lived, where they met etc. on their 40th (I think). Don't you all remember? Carole rented a van that broke down so we had to drive two vehicles. We could do it again but we have already done that.
I remember hearing about that, it was when I was in Chile so I missed it. Did you tour all the homes we had lived in? What are the details on that?
IF we redo that same tour of going to all the homes, etc. we could improve on it, by planning ahead. We could have brock and amy go to the homes (if we have addresses ???) and find out if we cold take inside tours. We could make a map of them all printed out.
I think Mom and Dad really enjoyed the tour and it could easily be made better, with a handout that talks about each property or special location, churches etc what happened at each or years that we lived there. But that might require Mom's help. So that way it would not be a complete surprise. But she would still love it.
We still need some comments from Sharon and Cheryl, so we can make some decisions here.
We need to pick: Date of party!
Elizabeth mentioned she would like the party close to anniv date. We need to talk about that. What about my suggestion on Thanksgiving week, like Nov 29th or 30th. That's the weekend before Dec 6th.
We could do the tour on Friday afternoon and the party over the weekend.
IF we redo that same tour of going to all the homes, etc. we could improve on it, by planning ahead. We could have brock and amy go to the homes (if we have addresses ???) and find out if we cold take inside tours. We could make a map of them all printed out.
I think Mom and Dad really enjoyed the tour and it could easily be made better, with a handout that talks about each property or special location, churches etc what happened at each or years that we lived there. But that might require Mom's help. So that way it would not be a complete surprise. But she would still love it.
We still need some comments from Sharon and Cheryl, so we can make some decisions here.
We need to pick: Date of party!
Elizabeth mentioned she would like the party close to anniv date. We need to talk about that. What about my suggestion on Thanksgiving week, like Nov 29th or 30th. That's the weekend before Dec 6th.
We could do the tour on Friday afternoon and the party over the weekend.
Okay! I am finally able to get on the computer again!! We had a great trip to AL & FL! I think it should be a BIG party just like G-ma & G-pa Christman- and Daddy will live! Mom will LOVE it!!! The field trip would be nice too! I think it should either be summer or Thanksgiving!!
okay okay, you'll are right Daddy will get over the not being at home. I do love the tour, especially if we can get into them. I think they would both absolutely love it. Carole you are right, we should have Brock (or someone) start working on the home owners now to make sure everyone will be at the home to the friday after Thanksgiving. (we might have to do the tour in the afternoon in case some of the people are shopping that am).
From Cheryl:
I think it should be pa cause m & d sisters, etc need to be there. I love macinac island - maybe another trip -- intimate immediate family, one at willows or fire co or grange with bigger family party and friends......maybe gifts to the bigger one could be photos/and money towards a Germany trip visiting david after his mission. I think the summers when kids are off school is great.
To keep in mind also, although ned wants me to take some time off and I may get a quick medical degree (or certificated) there may be a bunch of us who can't take lots of time off due to jobs, unfortunately so. Plus those like ebby, etc. who have futher travel to think about in addition to the time.
I think a little quick immediate family thing - then a grange or something. I'd love to say Macinac Island, then come back for a grange party but that might be too much time and hassle.
Cheryl
let's get some quotes for the grange and other sites to rent it for Friday evening, Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving.
why don't we make a list of possible places and a list of questions to ask them and we can each call one place and report back.
Questions to ask potential site:
1) How many people does your room hold - min and max?
2) Price for 3-4 hours? what is the deposit? when is final payment due?
3) Can we bring own food/caterer or are we required to use yours?
4) size of space
5) tables and chairs included in price?
6) dates available
7) sound system available? free or for rent?
8) is set up and clean up included in price?
9) is signage for outside to announce event available? free?
I would say no to sunday because we will have to travel back on that day because school starts on Monday. Other than that- the questions look great! What was the place that Gary had a reception for one of his daughters? Anyone remember? It was in Lenhartsville and Mom loved it! But I can't remember the name of it.
I did a search for Reception Halls in Lenhartsville and it didn't list anything with a Lenhartsville address. I don't know if there would be a way to find out without Mom or Daddy knowing. I really would like to keep this as much as a surprise as we possible can. I don't know if Jackie or Cheryl would know !?!? I can't believe I'm going to say this but I do agree with Elizabeth and we should start making phone calls now and getting some quotes.
There is a Grange in Seipstown that would be closer. Maybe Amy could call Rose Baer and get some contact info. But sure that Rose knows that it's a SURPRISE.
Maybe we could tell that we are having a small party at the house for immediate family and a few close family and friends. Tell them to get dressed and leave for a few hours so we can get everything ready. Then instead of bringing them home at the specified time, take them to the grange (or whatever location we select). So they will know and we ready for something - but NOTHING like they expected!
The place I am thinking about is the same place they used to eat lunch at in the garbage business in Lenhartsville?? ring any bells, yet? Hummel's--- could be it??? Also- Dorothy (or one of the sisters don't remember which) had her big surprise b-day party at the Willows- another favorite place of Mom and Daddy's.
I think the Lenhartsville location is The Krumsville Inn, I called and spoke with the owner, Jety ?, 610-756-6252 and she knew M & D and said they had Lester's 70 or 75 b-day there. She didn't have too much info, she wanted someone to come down and check out the place, she said for a sit down dinner they seat about 35 people. But she seems more comfortable talking in person when we had more details. I wasn't sure if we were thinking of a sit-down dinner or an afternoon party with light food. Who has ideas on this? I know the sisters don't like to say out past dark, but I think they would if they HAVE to, but it gets dark early in Nov/Dec. I think we have to come up with a budget to work with also.
I know we were talking about the week of Thanksgiving, but like Carole just said it gets dark early. What if we would have it at the end of summer and before the kids all go back to school. I think having the dinner/party/tour at the end of August. That way too it will be nice out, because remember by Thanksgiving it getting COLD. And for us southerner (right Elizabeth) we really don't like the cold. :o) Like the second to last or last weekend of August. Oh, Brock needs to check to see when he has to be at Cleveland State. I'm not sure when he will start. That will be something else we'll have to work around also.
Would Cheryl be able to go over and look at it and get the answers we need, once we have a date worked out.
List of possible locations:
1.Seipstown Grange
2.Krumsville Hotel
3.Italian Restuarant (old Golden Key Hotel)
4.Willows Resturant (this might be the most expensive option? no?)
List of Possible Dates:
1. Aug 15, 16
(the last two weekends in Aug are bad for us, we have activities related to school starting)
2. Nov 29 or 30
Yes, the weather would be better in August. We would not have to worry about freezing rain, ice or snow.
Possible options:
Evening Buffet Dinner
Afternoon Snacks etc
Please add any other options, etc.
I was just thinking maybe we should have a conference call, with the 6 of us, and Sandy and Amy, to at least make the first decisions and take the first steps, and then split up all the future steps among all of us. What do you all think? Maybe one night this week, Tuesday, say late about 9pm. The conf call is 218-936-1000 ,passcode is 272269#. If any of that info is wrong I will let you know ASAP.
List of possible locations:
1.Seipstown Grange
2.Krumsville Hotel
3.Italian Restuarant (old Golden Key Hotel)
4.Willows Resturant (this might be the most expensive option? no?)
List of Possible Dates:
1. Aug 15, 16
(the last two weekends in Aug are bad for us, we have activities related to school starting)
2. Nov 29 or 30
Yes, the weather would be better in August. We would not have to worry about freezing rain, ice or snow.
Possible options:
Evening Buffet Dinner
Afternoon Snacks etc
Please add any other options, etc.
Lenhartsville is Hummels (Hummels Danceland to be exact). Minnie and I used to go there. STill make homemade french fries. Not sure about Daddy's RC Cola. Does it still exist?
Looked up Seipstown Grange which is on Clausfille Road 619391-9840 contact Bob Lieby. Willow in East Texas has Great family style meals.
I vote for something in summer. LOnger days. Maybe 6th day of some month....who cares to be exact!!!!!
I think the sisters with kids need to work out the best time (Aug or Nov) and the rest of us will work with whatever yous decide. It would be nice if it were close to the time of the anniv but the weather thing is a big factor.
And afternoon snacks would be less expensive for us than evening buffet but it will also be divided 6 ways. We will just have to figure it out when we talk.
So a Conf Call sounds good. I couldn't do it this Tuesday at 9pm (maybe 9:30) but any other night I could.
I vote for sometime in the summer, just not the week of the with the 15 of any month, they WILL NOT let me off of work period. Amy will not be able to do the 9pm; she doesn't get out of school until 9:45p.
I will talk to Brock and have him find out when Cleveland State Fall Semester starts. Last year the fall semester started the last week of August.
I know the weekend of Aug 15-16 is out for us- we'll talk Tuesday night should be good for me.
Cheryl- When you say Hummels, are you saying the Krumsville Hotel, where Lester had his party, should not be on the list of possible options that we have them mixed up. That M&D would like Hummels better?
Lenhartsville is Hummels (actually Hummels DAnceland). Minnie and I used to go there also. They still make homemade fries and they are great. Don't know if RC Cola still exists????
Looked up the Seipstown Grange on Clausville Road, contact is Bob Lieby at 610-391-9840. Willow's in East Texas is also excellent, great family style meals.
Do you mean Krumsille Inn, is the wrong place? That M&D would like Hummels better? RC Cola is still for sale, I've seen it. We need contact info for Hummel's. I can't find it. Thanks
I think a conf call is an excellent idea.
My thoughts on having the party in August. While it may be convenient I really don't like the idea of having it 4 months prior to their actual anniversary. I'd rather have it in Nov or Dec. Yes, weather is a consideration. But August, many people travel, on vacation, busy with other things. No matter when it is there will always be a drawback. If we give people sufficient notice and they want to be there, they will.
M&D will never have another 50 year anniversary so we need to make it special. Let's keep that in mind instead of what's most convenient for us. We all may need to make changes to schedules - even those with kids- because this is a once in a lifetime event.
Have we set for sure on the time. I can do the 9pm tomorrow night if that is what we want.
I think 9pm Tues it is!
I thought you'll wanted Amy on the phone conference ? She doesn't get out of school until 9:45pm. So if we have it at 9 she will probably miss almost all of it?
The phone number is 218-936-1100 passcode 272269# sorry :)
Post a Comment