- 1. Location that we would like is the place of their original reception in Lenhartsville.
- 2. We would decorate it like it was that day and have a duplicate cake made from a photo with the original cake topper!
- 3. We would display Mom's wedding dress, the photo album and other 'stuff'
- 4. We would invite EVERYONE that they have known over the last 50+ years including classmates, former employees and several generations of family.
- 5. We would limit it to Adults only (except immediate family)
- 6. We would get Mom's help in putting together a list, maybe Amy & Brock could help her with this and they could enter them into the computer so we could easily split them up for the 6 of us to start calling and telling them about the party etc and getting a current mailing address to mail invite.
- 7. Brock or Amy will scan in original wedding photos, so we can all see and think about 're-creating' it for the party.
- 8. Aunt Joan could help with Mom's relatives names and addresses, Richard could help with former employees names and address. We didn't talk about it, but maybe Aunt Carole ? could help with Christman relatives names and address.
- 9. Brock or Amy will help find this location and get us contact info ASAP.
- 10. I will check with this Lenhartsville location ASAP to find out about size and AC :)
- 11. We did NOT make a decision on the date, we did agree that possible bad weather will be a factor in the number of people that attend. Therefore if we want the largest attendance possible, August might be better.
- 12. We talked about rather then talking about monetary gifts for a trip to Germany 2 years away, we should try to get donations for a trip to Hawaii in Dec 08. Maybe with a personal message from us talking about all our family vacations, to the 48 states, they have been to Alaska in 2001, but have never been to Hawaii to complete their goal of getting to all 50 states. During our personal calls too, if anyone asked about gifts, we could mention donations for this special '2nd Honeymoon' Trip.
- 13. We would have reception maybe 1-4 or 2-5 and have light food, sandwich trays, veggies, fresh fruit, ring bologna and cheese :), punch etc.
- 14. We might also want to cook a big lobster dinner at home for the immediate family like we did for I think it was their 45th. Were they took the kids out in a limo so we could prepare everything. (But I think we cooked way to much food options, no one could eat it all)
- 15. We talked about any preparations that need to made that week, that day could be done at Sandy's house.
Please add anything I may have missed. Maybe we can plan to talk next week and take some more steps and make some more decisions. What days could we do it at 9pm and still have Amy participate. I dont' think we should do it any later then 9pm because it lasted an hour tonight.
23 comments:
For Amy (and Brock) to be a part of it, it would have to be on a Friday night. She doesn't have school on friday and she works days. As for Brock it will depend if he gets a job if he will be able to participate.
I spoke to him this afternoon and he will get the invitation and wedding album and scan everything and email to everyone knowing that Mom and Daddy can't see him doing it. :o)
I called Brock today and got the info on the invitation...
The Virginville Grange
I googled it and got a phone # of 610-562-8357, it only has a generic message, but I did leave a message.
Ester Stistle ? at the Virginville Grange called me back tonight, I wasn't really prepared with lots of questions, but I did find out these things...
1. They provide the tables and chairs, she said they do have table cloths. But I didn't ask if there is a price to use them, probably the cloths because of washing.
2. They remodled last year and put in Air Conditioning, which was a factor if we decided to do it in summer.
3. She said we can bring all our own food, they DO NOT allow caterers, but they can also prepare food also.
4. They have a first floor dining room (She said,this is where their reception would of been) that has been fixed up but basically the same. The second floor is where the dancing was. We can rent the first floor for $100.
5. You can seat about 170 in this first floor dining room.
6. It has a kitchen, I'm not sure if we could use it or not, I know she mentioned that caterers are not allowed to.
Her direct number is 610-562-8507.
I was thinking maybe Amy or Brock could go down with digital camera and take a few pic of the room so we can think more about decorating it.
I guess I'll call her back tommorrow or monday and ask her more questions on Ebeth's list or if anyone can think of any questions. She is putting something in the mail to me, it seems like a dos and don'ts type of thing.
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT TAKING A VOTE ON THE DATE? AND THE MAJORITY WINS. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYOTHER WAY TO MAKE A DISICION.
As for the date: Let's pick a weekend in August (maybe the 23rd) and then take the vote. The important thing right now is to pick the date and reserve the grange. Then we can start getting lists together and start calling.
Is the $100 rental for a day or afternoon?
Yes, a vote is good, I guess- although I can't seem to make a decision myself- I keep going back and forth myself. The Virginville Grange is great- I am so glad someone thought of that. And we can bring our own food/AC, etc sounds great. When it comes to picking a date- should we talk to Mom???? I know we want this to be a surprise but maybe this would be the best thing at this point. I think we decided to tell her we are doing something (so we can get addresses, etc) so why not ask her opinion on the date/month. What does everyone else think? I don't think there is anyway of surprising her of the party- they can be surprised of location, people, and other things. I don't know just an idea!
Also Katrina when you mention Amy can't come unless it's Friday (do you mean the conference call or the party)? You don't think they could get off a Saturday with several months advance notice? I know if it’s August, Kyle will have to get off several days from Busch no matter what day it is, since we have to travel. If it’s in November, he won’t be working at Busch but he’ll probably be working somewhere then. Just a thought about a Friday – since that probably isn’t the best day (especially if we are doing this in August- a Friday wouldn’t work) because we want it to be an afternoon luncheon type thing instead of an evening dinner/party. Just my thoughts! If you are worried about Brock’s college schedule in November over thanksgiving- just check the university’s website- you’ll probably be able to see their calendar for next year already. He has to have off at least Thursday, Friday for Thanksgiving just like mine & Carole’s kids will that will also.
After all this- I don’t know if it should be August or November. I'm confused!!:-)
I am still opposed to August.
Mom & Daddy got married in December. Did they think - oh we can't get married in December. What if the weather is bad and we can't get to the church? What if it snows and people don't come to the reception? NO! They got married in December and I'll bet never even considered that - so why are we? If it snows, it snows. If it's cold, it's cold. Big deal. If people didn't want to deal with that they would have already moved to Texas. :-)
According to Al Gore the earth is warming so we probably don't have anything to worry about anyway. (lol)
If you are STILL worried about the weather - let's not forget that we are all Christians so why not rely on good old fashioned prayers to ensure Thanksgiving weekend will be a pleasant one for those traveling to the party.
Are you with me?
Okay, now I am leaning towards thanksgiving- I can see Elizabeth’s point about their wedding was in December – why can’t our party be then too!? Or maybe we should have it in Texas so we don’t have to deal with the weather!! :-)
I am all for the praying, great idea! What does everyone else think???
Also wanted to add- won't Mom be so happy to have us all home for Thanksgiving too??? That will just make her day!! She loves when we are all home together!!!
I think August would be my vote. I understand what Elizabeth is saying but I am conserned about who WILL NOT come if the weather is bad ie: daddy's sisters, mom's aunts and uncles and maybe even some of her cousins, possible even her sister. Aunt Joan does not like to drive in bad weather or at night because of her eye sight (but maybe Gloria could drive; if she can?). But like Carole said it will have to be a majority vote. Since Jackie suggested the weekend of August 25 and Elizabeth suggested Thanksgiving weekend; why don't we vote right here.
Put your vote in and that's what we will go by. I figure if we do it on here we won't waste a phone conference fighting over what date is better.
PLACE YOU VOTES !!!
Carole can we then have a phone conference next friday the 18 at 9pm and start figuring everything else out.
Amy would be able to do a 9pm conference call on friday.
By the way, it was MY BRILLANT IDEA about the Virginville Grange!! :)
I am confused about the date too. I see the benifits both sides. I will say to Elizabeth's comments that all the people we are concerned about regarding driving in bad weather were all 50 years younger then :)
I am with Sharon on getting Mom's opinion. There is going to be a lot of great things she will STILL be surprized about. And Mom knows best!
I'm leaning toward Thanksgiving. I think the chances of really bad weather are LOW.
If I don't hear any MAJOR objections to talking to MOM, I will call her tomorrow.
I agree with Carole, even thought I'd like the entire thing a surprise BUT heck it is their 50th not ours. I'd say someone should call mom. What if we do a conference call so all of us can hear her reaction !! Could we do the phone conference sunday afternoon/evening ?? What does everyone else thing of that.
If we do that we could have one person, whoever, do the talking. We can tell mom what we are doing and what dates she can pick from. If she can decide that right away we can give her time to come up with a list of people she wants to invite and if she has any phone number. I think we should start making phone call about 1 1/2 to 2 months prior to the party.
Feed back ?
And your welcome about the idea of having the party at the Virginvile Grange. I do have GREAT idea on occassions :o)
Carole - there probably were old people back then but they are not around any more. :-)
I don't think we should have a conf call w mom. That would lead her to believe that this party is going to be a big deal. Just one person can call and say we are thinking about having a small party for their anniversary and get her opinion.
I agree with Elizabeth, just one person, we want her to think it will be at the house, nothing major.
Jackie- about the $100, I just told her we were interested in doing one afternoon and she said the rental is $100. Why do you ask? since we don't plan on going all night.
Carole, I just asked because I didn't know it the $100 was for a day or an afternoon. Didn't know that you had asked for an afternoon price.
I am also leaning towards Thanksgiving but will go with whatever Mom likes.
I vote for summer time when kids are off school. December is nice idea but sites usally costs more cause winter weddings are very popular. Who cares when it is. Days are longer summer. You know older people and driving at night.
I know Virginville has sentimental vqlue, but everything would be taken care of at the Willows in East Texas/ If it's summmer all their veggies are gardem grow by their son.
I think everything about the location is great. I think the best date would be around Thanksgiving because most people would be off of work and school. I think if it's in November you won't have to worry too much about snow and bad weather, because it usually doesn't start getting bad until the beginning of December. But, I think that people would show up even with the possibility of bad weather because it's their 50th!!! I think people would make plans to come and have a backup plan for transportation. Even if they can't make it because of the weather I'm sure one of the grandkids could get them.
If anyone needs me to do anything my cell phone is 330-831-7100.
JUST PICK A DATE AND TIME ALREADY!! I DON'T THINK I CAN TAKE THIS FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!! As Sharon says, "Oh my HECK!!!"
All I have to say to that is OH MY HECK!!!!!!
Carole, when are you going to talk to Mom? We should really get this started.
Okay- well, I finally went through our calendar for August - the only weekends we could possibly do it - would be the week of Aug 2 or Aug 30th. After looking at the calendar, I realized Aug 25 is out for us. I still am going to Thanksgiving, though but just in case, this is our info for August. Looking forward to hearing from Carole.
I did talk to Mom yesterday, she said she had to think about it a little bit, to decide what time is better. I didn't say Thanksgiving, I just said around your anniv in Dec or Summer time in August maybe.
I figured I'd call her back tonight or tomorrow and she thoughts she had.
BROCK'S CELL PHONE NUMBER IS 330-831-7101
(he actually gave you Jim's cell phone number)
Post a Comment